Today is Transgender Day of Visibility, a day when we celebrate the lives and accomplishments of transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals across the world. While we cannot underestimate the violence and discrimination that transgender and gender non-conforming people face, today is a day to celebrate the remarkable accomplishments and resiliency of a community that is oftentimes ignored and devalued.
Last month, The Trump administration took steps to lessen this visibility when they lifted protections that allowed students to use the restrooms corresponding to their gender identity, disproportionality hurting transgender youth. Last week, the Trump administration deleted the LGBT category in the largest national survey that measures the effectiveness of all elder services, and has proposed cuts to the 2020 census, no longer including sexual orientation and gender identity as a category. Because funding is linked to policy, and policy is linked to data, by removing these protections, and eliminating the opportunity to collect data, the Trump administration is taking steps to erase the LGBT community.
While it is imperative that we resist, let’s take some time today to celebrate how transgender individuals persist.
Here are some things you can do to celebrate Transgender Day of Visibility:
* Attend a Transgender Day of Visibility event in your area. If you’re in Chicago, check out the Trans Activist Showcase at the Center on Halsted tonight at 6:00.
* Donate to your favorite Trans-led organization. Some of our favorites are: TransTech, Transformative Justice Law Project, and Chicago BTGNC
* Follow transgender activists on social media. Here are some we follow: Kat Blaque, Laverne Cox, Precious Brady-Davis, Tiq Milan, Janet Mock, Jen Richards and Angelica Ross.
Educate yourself! Here are some resources:
* Check out this film, Major! that chronicles the life of Miss Major
* Visit the website for the National Center for Transgender Equality
* Check out this podcast, One from the Vault, a podcast on trans history
Happy Transgender Day of Visibility. We see you. We are you. We love you.
For more information about Affinity, visit us at affinity95.org.